Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Open Fire Progress

After a good few hours of work clipping, chart comparing, gluing and cursing I've finally finished the infantry sections of the Flames of War starter.

I was pre-warned by various good folk about some of the potential downfalls when doing this part. One is the fragility of the PaK40 guns. Very careful cutting is needed to get the thin barrel and supporting legs out of the sprue. Using cutters I slowly nibbled away at the joins and made the final cut with a sharp hobby knife. The guns shields are also incredibly weak and I snapped both mine across the narrow bridge (one in the sprue and the other fall apart afterwards - obviously weakened by the extraction process)

The other thing is the prone American machine gunners are an absolute pain to put together! Trying to position and attach the arms and gun caused much blue language!

So any tips? First one is be happy to use liquid poly plastic glue. being more used to metal models I was plowing on with superglue, but when I moved the Liquid Poly the pieces stuck much easier. Second (now that I've had a chance to look around the interweb is to look on the Flames of War assembly guides . I wish I'd known about these sooner, as the photos there can be more useful than the included diagrams.

I'll be sure to do both these before I start the tanks...


  1. I'm looking forward to the finished product. I really like this set but haven't bought it yet. It will be cool to see how it turns out for you.

  2. Thanks for the interest, Adept. I'll be sure to post up my novice progress and experiences.