Friday 20 January 2023

Lindberg 1/72 OS2U Kingfisher

 

At the start of December, between work, Xmas and combined weariness my painting mojo level dropped right down. This time, as I have done in the past, I decided to try making a model from my stash. The kit I actually chose was an 1/72 Airfix Stuka that my son had gifted me last Christmas (which is build and primed now so hopefully will make an appearance here in the near future), but whilst getting the decorations down from the loft I noticed the box had broken for this Kingfisher so pulled it down as well.

Lindberg make cheap (apparently old) kits. Not particularly accurate in places either I believe, but it went together simply with relatively few parts. The finished paintwork is a bit lumpy courtesy of trying to spray prime in the winter. I had the correct Revell paints from my Wings of War project but disastrously the dark blue had dried up. GW Macragge Blue base was pretty close though so not to panic. The diluted Army Painter Soft Tone wash, wiped away from the raised panels worked really well in bringing out the panel lines without the need to pin wash. Ignoring the odd bump and frosted glass pain (which you can't see when hung up) I happy to have got this model done at last.

In position on the roof. Who doesn't love a sea plane??

As is now customary, here is an excellent documentary about the Kingfisher:

A Forgotten Hero of The Pacific War | Vought-Sikorsky OS2U ‘Kingfisher’

No comments:

Post a Comment