Tuesday 15 January 2013

Top 10 Games


The latest issue of "The Ancible" dropped through my mailbox today (or to be precise the email telling me that the new FREE issue was available for download). I look forward to this pdf mag coming out. There's always something interesting in the pages.

This is about one article within this issue - "Ten Games Every True Gamer Should Play". To the author's (Robey Jenkins) due, he does say that the article is designed to poke a few fires, so to speak. So here is the list:

10: Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader
  9: Malifaux
  8: Warmachine/Hordes Mk2
  7: Warhammer Ancient Battles (2nd Ed)
  6: Inquisitor
  5: Tomorrow's War
  4: Infinity
  3: Hex Hex
  2: Warhammer 40k (6th Ed)
  1: A game you wrote yourself!

As a stand alone list I'm sure we all have different entries we could put in, but it's an interesting list anyway. Rogue Trader is there as a "know your origins" game. There are justifications for all the choices. Most are down to perceived innovative mechanics which leads you up to the conclusion of your gaming quest to designing your own game.

Whether you agree with the value of said mechanics I think depends on what you are looking for in a game. At the moment, for example, I'm preferring games that have simple rules, so that I can put down a force and manoeuvre not get trumped because I didn't have or know a certain special power that a particular figure has. As such, where I can see what the author is gettng at, I would have to lean away from some of the choices made.

But download it and see what you think...


No comments:

Post a Comment