Tuesday 5 January 2016

New (and old) Wizards

Finished painting a trio of Wizards to help with my next Frostgrave games, or anything else.

First up is the brand spanking new Sorcerer from Studio Miniatures (due to be released this month) that I picked up at Kirriemuir Wargaming Club's show, Targe, in November. He is obviously "inspired" by Tim the Enchanter from "the Holy Grail", so I've used that as the colour mapping for my paint job.

From the other end of the new-ness scale comes an old Games Workshop Necromancer who has been sitting in the pile for years. He's a bit more dynamic and high fantasy than Tim above. I had played with the idea of trying some detailed edging to his outfit, but in the end left it plain as it nicely brought out the waist adornments.

These were to be the only two spell slingers to be painted at this time, but on looking at my painted collection I realised that I didn't really have an appropriately styled apprentice for Tim. Fortunately I had in the pile a young wizard from Ral Partha, "Denatale, Young Wandering Wizard", who fitted the bill nicely and I finished him off as a bonus. Ral Partha have some great magic users by the way if you are looking for one.

11 comments:

  1. Oooh Loving Tim the Enchanter.

    How do you find Steve Ambrose' writing ? I've read his 'Pegasus Bridge' book and thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zzz. I enjoyed "Band of Brothers". I've read a few WW2 books and sometimes they can be a bit dry, but Ambrose manages to keep it fresh. I think the many interviews quoted help. Good to hear that Pegasus Bridge was a good read, as he'd mentioned it in the appendices and I fancied it. I definately recommend Band of Brothers.

      Delete
  2. HA. Love the Tim the Enchanter fig, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Tristan. It is certainly nice - as are so many of their minis.

      Delete
  3. That Studio Miniatures fig is superb! Lovely paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Tim the Battleshed will need to find an apprentice for Magi Bayaz soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll at least have a dwarven magic user hiding under a pile somewhere.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful figures, love the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The parts of the Holy Grail with Tim in are my faves! He should have a little, fluffy, psychotic, man-eating bunny as a familiar.....

    ReplyDelete