Tuesday 27 August 2024

Airfix Focke-Wulf Fw190 A-8


I'm recuperating from an operation, so what more stereotypical activity than making a model airplane?
The Airfix Blurb:

First flying in 1939, the Focke-Wulf Fw190 proved to be an immediate threat to RAF fighters when introduced in late 1941, being faster and more manoeuvrable than the Spitfire V6 then in service. This A-8 version was the most numerous and heavily armed variant, which entered service in 1944, as an attempt to stop the Allied daylight raids, however, by then the new Allied fighters had begun to outclass it.

Paint Scheme – FW190 A-8 WNr 175140 Brown 6 7, JG26, Melsbroek, Belgium, July 1944



So another Airfix starter set. This one has been haunting the workbench for a while now, telling me that my ceiling collection isn't complete until a FW190 hangs there, and it isn't wrong.

My surface was actually full of other projects but I managed to squeeze it in. I probably didn't give the kit as much attention as I should have but everything went smoothly in the build until I came to the painting. I've mentioned the oddities of Airfix starter paints and their relation (or lack of) to the box painting guide, and this one was probably the worse of the lot. As a result the model had a couple of coats more than it should have and me completely swapping colours round to more match the box art. I've since seen examples online where people have doggedly stuck to the numbered guide and some not. Given that this is a starter set, pretty confusing (I was on strong pain killers as well at the time remember) and not the best. Left me with a slightly unsatisfied feeling at the end of the whole process.



But up it goes into the the pine clad sky with the others and it doesn't look too bad from down here. At the end of the day the crucial thing is that FW190 outline, and it's there.

And the customary interesting documentary offering:


No comments:

Post a Comment