I decided that base sections would be easier to paint un-assembled before any weathering was added.
For painting I will be following the tutorial instructions from Lead Adventures forum member "Michi". The results from shown in this thread will tell you why. I hope mine come out half as good.
For my own reference as much as yours, the technique is:
- No primer is necessary.
- Choose a base colour and apply it with rough strokes of a flat brush. That will leave some wood (MDF) shining through.
- Repeat that with increasingly lighter shades of that colour (three or four layers).
- Wash the entire building with a very watery black wash.
- Apply another wash of a dust colour of your choice. This wash should be rich with pigments. You can take away too thick areas with fresh water while the wash is still wet or with alcohol when it has already dried.
- Finally apply a rather light drybrush of sand or light grey colour.